What's this blog about then...

I am an Englishman living in California, specifically in Los Angeles. My move here was recent enough that everything still seems exciting and new, but long enough ago that I know my SoCal from my NorCal, who Kobe Bryant is, and what to do in an earthquake.

So this blog will be a stream of anecdotes, stories and observations on life in California - through the eyes of an Englishman. Why CalEnglishman? Just because there seems to be a belief here, particularly within government, that putting "Cal" in front of any project or department identifies it with California in a zippy way.

We have 'CalFresh' 'CalBar', 'CalCPA', 'CalGrant', Cal this, Cal that. You may not know that, before California appended its omnipresent prefix, you got fat if you ate too many "ories" and the chemical element "cium" gave you strong bones. So while those facts are not true, I felt that there was only one thing I could call myself in the face of this state-wide consensus.

I am the CalEnglishman. Good to meet you. I hope you will read on.

Friday, March 22, 2013

A visit to the drive-thru

This morning, like many mornings, I stopped at my local Starbucks drive-thru before setting about the business of the day. Each time I do this, I feel like I fit in here a bit more. There is something uniquely American about this reluctance to move out of a sitting position.

There was a long line in front of me, everyone doggedly keeping to their morning ritual whether it added five or forty five minutes to their journeys. There were plenty of spaces in the parking lot and barely a customer inside, but anyone who parked and went in got a suspicious look from us drive-thru patrons.

Finally the car in front of me - an enormous monster-truckish vehicle - pulled up to the speaker phone to make his order. "Good morning, my name is Shannon, what can I get started for you today?" said the impossibly perky voice from the other end.

"Yeah, hi, can I get a grande extra hot double shot soya milk chai with whipped cream and vanilla, a blueberry muffin, butter croissant and ham and cheese panini just lightly toasted. Thaaanks."

"Certainly, sir", said Shannon without missing a beat, "and will that be all for you today?"

'Ye...ahhhh heck, it's Friday, throw a toasted bagel in there too would ya." And he edged forward.

My turn. "Good morning, my name is Shannon, what can I get started for you today?"

"Hello. A tall cappuccino and a bottle of water please."

'I'm sorry sir, was that a bowl of oatmeal and a hazelnut latte?", said with a note of panic. I took a deep breath, repeated my order several times, and gradually her ear adjusted to the odd accent.

I moved on. Miraculously the monster truck was already making off with its mountain of provisions. Windows slid open, I was given my order and relieved of a few dollars in a single movement, and off I went.

Unnecessary indulgence and procrastination, dressed up as a time-saving and efficient customer experience. See you on Monday, I thought to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment